Sunday, September 23, 2012

Family Road Trip!

We decided to head to Charleston to see our friends (our "family") we hadn't seen since May when we left. It's crazy to think that is the longest I have gone without seeing some of my friends, like Alysia, in seven years. WOW!!!

While I got ready and packed some last minute things. Sawyer hung out...and loved it :)

I got everything all packed (over a period of a few days), got the car completely loaded, got the kids ready, and we sat and waited for Alex to get home to leave. Once he got home, we did a few last minute additions to the cargo in the Tahoe and we were ready to be on our way. One problem. The Tahoe wouldn't start. The battery was dead. This has happened two other times but when we had the battery checked, we were told it was fine. So we sat around, mad, and tried to think of our next move. Here it is 8 pm at night, we have 6 hours to drive, 2 very tired babies, and a car that won't start. Perfect.

After a few minutes, I realized that my mom had bought me a car care kit for Christmas and it contained JUMPER CABLES. So we jumped the Tahoe and were on our way. We left around 8:15 pm. There is no good straight route to get to Charleston. You either go up to Atlanta, over to Columbia and down OR you take back roads for 2 hours, then 2 hours to Savannah on the interstate then 2 to Charleston from Savannah. Regardless, it's a six hour trip with minimal stopping. It was a smooth ride. Alex drove the first part and I drove the late hours (this is how we always do it. I end up never getting to sleep bc I drive when the kids are sleeping.) We got to the hotel in Charleston at 2:15 am. Exactly six hours. 

Naturally both kids were WIDE AWAKE and Sawyer was screaming. Then overly tired, crabby Charlotte started screaming. Here is our room in the hotel at 3 am.

It was a TERRIBLE night of sleep. Sawyer fell asleep finally at 4:15 am. But then was back up to eat at 7:30

Prior to the trip, after much thought and A LOT OF MISERABLE SCREAMING from Sawyer, I decided to start pumping, stop nursing, and give formula a 2 week test run for his belly. I chose a bad weekend to have to pump since we were going to be crazy busy but I just need to help his poor belly. We shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment