Thursday, September 6, 2012

Time to Head Home to the Land of Peaches

All good things must come to an end. Sad but true.

After 10 FABULOUS days in Illinois with family, it was time to load up and head back to Georgia. However, we couldn't leave until Melissa was done with class since she was riding back with us. So that still gave us most of the day to spend at Grandma Ann's house. The morning started off just like all of the others. Charlotte and Grandma went out back and fed the kitties. Can you tell she misses Max??? She is obsessed with the kitties.

The great thing about being at Grandma's house is that Charlotte knows there is an endless supply of golden Oreos. She seriously remembered from May to September where the Oreos were located. Crazy, right??? She eats the filling out of the center and leaves the cookie...unless I help her dip them in milk.


Aunt Kathy came down to have her last minute snuggles with both kids. She took Charlotte on a few gator rides including a ride down to her house for a few minutes.

Uncle Jim came in to say goodbye as we were getting ready to head out. Doesn't Sawyer look excited to get in the car for a 12 hour drive????

We had planned to leave Carrollton at 5 pm but a horrible storm was moving through St. Louis and heading East along 64 right where we were heading. So we decided to wait an hour for it to pass. The last thing we needed traveling back home was to get caught in a tornado with two chicks and two small kids. Uncle Jim and Grandma saw us off... then when we got to town I realized I had left my camera at her house so I had to turn around and go back to get it. All I could think was, "oh no, what a terrible start to this trip."

We headed into town to Aunt Didi's to pick up Melissa. She had her college classes all day and had gotten home and finished packing. She was stoked to be riding in the car with the crazies all of the way to Georgia :) I put her in the very back of the Tahoe so she could reach both kids. We ended up rolling out of Carrollton at 6 pm after getting gas.

We got on the road and ended up stopping east of St. Louis for a quick drive thru run. Charlotte fell asleep about an hour east of St. Louis (around 8 pm). We didn't have to stop very often. I ended up driving the entire time. Melissa fed Sawyer when he would wake up which ended up being every 3-4 hours. I think she fed him 3 times. I pumped while driving. I ended up tossing it because I consumed a LARGE amount of caffiene in order to stay up all night. We only had to get gas once in Tennessee (I think). I stopped to pee and stretch South of Atlanta and Charlotte woke up. She ended up watching Toy Story 3 until we got home. We pulled into our driveway at 6:30 am. I woke Alex up so I could take a quick nap while he played with the kids.

It was a great trip. Melissa only slept a few hours off and on. Each time I would think about having her switch with me and drive, I would get a burst of energy and just keep going. It was a difficult and long drive. With two small ones in the car, you just wait for the meltdown. I am so thankful Melissa wanted to come to Georgia for the weekend. I did, however, warn her ahead of time that we don't party all that much with these two kiddos. I warned her it would be a boring weekend in the woods. That being said, we are so happy she still decided to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment