Saturday, December 29, 2012

Our Visit from Gigi and Papa

Mom and Dad stayed in Georgia with us for a few days. There plan was to arrive down here on Tuesday December 25 and head back early in the morning on Saturday December 29. 

The morning after Christmas we got a phone call that a friend of mine from grade school and high school had passed away. He and I were very close at a few different points in our lives. He was amazing. After talking to Mom, Dad, and Alex, we decided that the kids and I should drive back to Illinois with Mom and Dad so that I could go to the funeral. That is one thing that I have learned from my Mom and Dad. Family and friendship are extremely important. A drive is just a drive. Miles are just miles. Events like funerals are things that you just do not miss.

Once our plans were figured out, we spent time playing with the kids' new toys from "Hoho", organizing the house, catching up on laundry, and ran a few errands in Columbus.

Look at that face :) I love this picture of her...and her outfit.

Sawyer was loving his new toy.

Papa can't do a thing on his I-pad or ours without Charlotte sitting right there.

She is pretty quick with those fingers.

Love this little guy. Working on our tummy time. He is taking a break here.

We took down our Christmas tree and put away all of our Christmas decorations. Mom is a maniac with a vacuum.

Charlotte even helped put the Christmas stuff away. I think she looks so much like me when I was little (and even now) in this picture. 

On Friday December 29, we left for Illinois around 5:30 pm. We piled the kids into the car and headed right back to where we had come from just 4 days prior. Our poor children...they will probably end up with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from all of this. We stopped in Chattanooga and I took over driving so that Dad could sleep. The weather had been less than desirable. It rained quite a bit in the Atlanta suburbs and at one point a big SUV drifted into our lane and almost caused us to flip our car. Scary. But I took over in Chattanooga, TN and drove until we got into Illinois. 

Once we got into Illinois (like we had literally crossed the Ohio River into Illinois) it started snowing like CRAZY. I had been waiting for it start. We had been checking Weather.com and waiting for it start. Dad had finally JUST fallen asleep when I had to wake him up drive. I talked to Mr. Paul and Kate (they are my two dates while I am on the road) for hours. I talked the entire time I drove...which was like 4 hours. I don't know what I would do without Mr. Paul and Kate on my long drives. I love having Mr. Paul who stays up late and Kate who lives in California.  So, Dad took over and drove for about an hour. The snow was pretty bad but Dad was just flying passed people. He meant business!

I took back over driving in Mt. Vernon, IL and drove the rest of the way to Grandma Ann's house. We got to her house around 4 am and took the kids right to bed. Charlotte slept with me and Sawyer slept with mom. I am so thankful for Aunt Kathy and Ryan who came out to Grandma's that morning to watch the kids while we slept. Aunt Kathy showed up the exact minute that Charlotte woke up. I AM SO GRATEFUL!!!

We made amazing time....even with snow. I was happy I was able to drive a lot of the drive and let Mom and Dad relax. So thankful to have parents like mine... that did not even question me wanting to come back to Illinois for this funeral and visitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment