Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Poor Sick Baby


Charlotte was finally sick for the very first time. It was so SAD. So on Monday April 9, 2012, as we were waiting for Gavin to come visit, I noticed her nose was starting to run. However, once Gavin and Parker got there, Gavin had a runny nose too so we just figured that they were both teething or both the same thing. Well, later that night, I noticed that she felt slightly warm but she had been fussing as well. About an hour after I put her to bed, I heard her crying. I went upstairs and she was fussing and coughing like a mad woman! It was the saddest, most horrible sounding cough I had ever heard! I started panicking, listening to her lungs, counting her respirations, checking for retractions, etc. I held her for hours because her nose was so stuffy that she couldn't breathe when she would lay down. We made it through until morning...but she slept with her momma alll night (and her momma barely slept at all.)
On Tuesday, we stayed home and hung out. She ended up hitting her eye on a cabinet corner at some point during the afternoon on Tuesday and next thing I know, her eye is alll red, watery, pink around the edges, swollen, etc. It was just sad. And she kept rubbing it. There was no drainage to it, just tears and lots of redness. I didn't actually see her hit her eye, she just started crying at one point and when I got to her a half a second later, she was holding her eye. So anywho, along with a fever of 101.7, a nose running like a faucet, an intermittent cough, diarrhea, she now has a red eye that looks like pink eye. Perfection. By that evening, I called the Dr. office and made an appt for the next morning.
Wednesday morning I had a dr appt for me and the baby (more about that later) and Charlotte had a sick dr appt with Dr. Lowe. Niki wanted to babysit her during my appt but with the weird eye thing going on, I wouldn't let her watch her. So we went to see Dr. Lowe. He's so nice... and knows that I am crazy. He thought that Charlotte did NOT have pink eye... but had some sort of eye infection. So he wanted her to have drops put in her eye. He felt that she either had a virus or allergies. She is now on Claritin daily and eye drops three times per day. I feel so bad that I passed on my allergy issues to my child. As far as the fever goes, could be a virus or could be teeth. Niki had said that Parker had had a fever so it was probably a virus.
The next day I had to go back to the dr and get some stuff done so Charlotte went to play with Gavin and Parker... (the dr said all was cool 24 hours after the eye drops were started). She was really good while I was gone. We were leaving straight from their house to go meet Alex in Greenville. So I picked up some McDonalds and ate a quick lunch at their house...and I got some for Charlotte too. As she is fussy, tired, and not feeling well, sitting on my lap eating a cheeseburger, she gags on some of the bread and she literally throws up buckets of snot/drainage from inside of her belly all over herself and me. I mean, wow! It was impressive. SO MUCH SNOT. After we got everything cleaned up, I drugged her up with some Motrin and some Benadryl, loaded up in the  car, and it was all good. She slept almost all of the way to Greenville and was a new person when she woke up. Later that night when Alex got tot he hotel, she had a big fever again, so she got some more Motrin.
On Friday April 13, I could tell she was feeling muuuuch better but was still sick. She had her fussy moments but was a better baby overalll. She had a lowgrade fever but nothing crazy. Although, while we were eating dinner with Alex and my parents @ steakhouse in Spartanburg, Charlotte gagged on something and the snot/drainage came pouring out of her in the middle of the restaurant far away from the bathroom....and all over me. She felt better though. And then, once she had her nighttime medicine, she was out on the drive for mom and dad. She had a fever that night as well but that was the last fever she had.
She really started feeling better Saturday and Sunday and by Tuesday she was back to her old self...and boy did I miss the old Charlotte. You just feel so helpless as a parent when your child is sick... :(


The picture at the top was taken on Tuesday when her eye started being weird. She felt so sick. The picture on the bottom is from her a few minutes later. She had just finished dinner and she had passed gas. She thought it was funny :)


No comments:

Post a Comment