Thursday, February 28, 2013

Another Day, Another Move

Oh February 27th, I have been dreading you and looking forward to you all at the same time.

That morning brought our "Back to Georgia" day. Dad and I woke up and were out of the house by 6:30 am. We were able to make pretty good time without having to worry about making stops. We were making excellent time until we got to Atlanta. Oh, Atlanta, you are so annoying at times. When we got to Atlanta, we met up with rush hour traffic and multiple car accidents. We got to our place in Fortson before 9 pm... which wasn't horrible timing but it wasn't amazing. We were so thankful to be there and to finally be closing that chapter in our lives. 

Dad and I got to work and got the rest of the house packed up. Mom and I had packed up about 75% of the house before we left for Illinois 3 weeks prior.  Dad and I worked until about 11:30 and then we headed to bed. This was my first night away from Sawyer and only my third time of being away from Charlotte at night. I felt a bit weird going to sleep knowing I could sleep through the night. Crazy. I slept like a rock. AMAZING.

We got up the next morning, the 28th, and we started busting our booties. The movers got to the house about 9:30 am. We used Two Men and A Truck this time. Our two guys got there. They were hysterical. The driver/lead mover, John, was quite the talker. The second guy, Mr. Flowers, was the strong silent type. They were quite a pair but so very nice and efficient. They looked at everything in our house and told me it would be NO PROBLEM  to get all of it in their truck. No problem at all :) 

We. Shall. See. 

They finally got started loading the truck around 10:30 am. I ran into Columbus one last time and ran a few errands. I got lunch for all of us from Zaxby's. I wish the North had Zaxby's. Man, I am going to miss that!!!!

The movers sat down and ate with us for a bit. They were shocked when I brought them lunch and even more shocked when Dad asked them to eat at the kitchen table WITH us.

I was a nervous wreck the entire time they were packing the truck. I kept praying that everything would fit. it was pretty awesome doing the move with just Dad as my helper. Dad and I are pretty chill in situations like this so we were all pretty relaxed. No one was high strung or worked up. It really made the day so much easier.

We finally got the entire truck loaded. As they were getting ready to shut the door, they noticed the rocking chair on the front porch. I basically said that I would rather leave something and take the rocking chair. We put our heads together and found a way to switch around the fire pit and the chair and it all fit!!!! The truck pulled out of the driveway at 2:45 pm. Excellent work!!

Dad and I cleaned finished the cleaning and the landlords came by. They really were amazing people. Tommy and Mary Properties in Columbus, GA is a great place to rent from. They apologized to me for my poor kitty dying. They apologized for not checking on me and helping me out more. I just said, "You know, everything happens for a reason. I am just glad to be going home."

Our empty house. The only thing left is Max's ashes...

After Tommy and Mary left, Dad and I showered quick and loaded the Tahoe to the brim. There was literally NO ROOM for even a cotton ball in the car at that point. But it was a successful day!

We had a beautiful home. I will really miss my huge kitchen, all of the upgrades, the TALL ceilings, the privacy in the yard, the big windows, the screened in porch, the red dirt, and my massive walk-in closet.
House, thank you for being so good to us!

Our massive pile of garbage. Thankfully garbage day was set to be the next morning!!


Dad and I hit the road at 4 pm. We decided to take backroad up to Rome Georgia and just skip ALL of Atlanta. It was kind of nice seeing more of the backwoods of Georgia :)


We drove until 4 am, CST. We made good time. I drove a pretty big chunk of the drive. I would like to give a massive shout out to a wonderful man in my life. Mr. Paul, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for always talking to me on the phone when I need someone. Mr. Paul talked to me for hours on the drive. It was amazing. One time he actually talked to me for four hours to help keep me awake. He is truly amazing. Mr. Paul, what would I do without you?????

Although I am not a big fan of snow, I can say that I am so glad to be home. After being gone for almost 8 years, I am so glad to call Illinois "home" again.

Georgia, it was real and it was fun but it wasn't real fun.

Here is to the first day of the rest of our lives....

No comments:

Post a Comment