Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Storm...

On January 30, a big 'ole storm came through Georgia. It had produced tornadoes in Tennessee. I kept track of it while it was coming towards us and one of the red/"probably tornado" areas was going to pass over our house. We had a garage full of boxes/moving items scattered everywhere. My fear was that a tree would fall onto the car and I wouldn't be able to get out. I was also scared that there would be a tornado or something and the car would be carried away and I wouldn't be able to get the kids medical attention if they needed it. I also knew that since we knew NO ONE in the area, I would be all by myself and NEED the car. 

So I took both kids outside to the garage with me. I put Sawyer in the walker and Charlotte ran wild. I moved every box, bag, suitcase, furniture item out of the way. Amazing how much you can get done when you are strapped for time. I was able to get everything moved and get the Tahoe in the garage within 20 minutes. 

We sat in the living room and waited for the storm. To be quite honest, I was not impressed. Although, as I was rocking Charlotte, I could see the skinny little trees that surround our house just swaying back and forth...really really far. I was thinking, "I bet some of those fall over from this wind." But the storm was fine. We never lost electricity...just satellite service...which happens anytime it rains, anytime it is windy, anytime it is sunny... we lose that all of the time.

The next morning we decided to get out of the house and head to the store. I loaded the kids up in the garage and backed out. Thank goodness for our back up camera. Bc of the steep driveway and what not, I completely looked over the tree in my side mirrors but saw it in my back up camera.

I knew a tree would HAVE to fall from all of that wind...


It was a pretty skinny tree so I drug it over far enough so that I could get out. 

I wanted to just move it completely by myself (I am woman, hear me roar.) But it was still connected to the base in the ground. I had to have the landlord come over a few days later bc the mail chick wouldn't deliver our mail. They were happy to help and told me they wished I had called sooner. Such nice Southern men...

The storm wasn't terrible but I am SO THANKFUL the tree did not fall on the house or my car. I am not quite sure what I would have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment