Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It's Like A Whole New House

Oh the joys of a BRAND new home!!!

Like I said earlier in life, the house we moved into in Metamora, even though it is 700 square feet smaller than our previous home, it is BRAND new. This means all of the items in it have never been used (like the bathrooms). This means we will be the first people to put the dents in the walls (Thanks Aunt Didi...kidding), the first people leave hair in the carpet (randoms hairs make me gag...especially strangers' random hair), and we will be the first people to create the dirt in this house. 

The negative side to the brand new house is the fact that it is May and we are just now getting the outside parts of the house to where we can actually GO outside.

Last week, the driveway people came and poured our driveway and sidewalk. They came on Monday and Tuesday. We FINALLY got rid of all of the huge rocks that caused me to trip every single day! SO ANNOYING. They were all really nice. Alex gave them left over chicken from Mom and Dad's house. I would never eat out of the fridge of someone I didn't know. These guys didn't care. They were super nice.

Then the deck guy came and put a deck on. He wasn't a very friendly fella. The kids would stand at the sliding door and stare at him, knock at him, and Charlotte would constantly ask "Who's that?". He never even acted like we existed. Poor guy. He probably just needed a hug.

This week, the yard guys came. They spent the first day leveling it all out and getting it all ready.
Then they spent the second day laying the sod. We left for a big chunk of the day because I was awkward. I had had random men in my yard and outside of my house for a week. I was over it. So we ran errands and found things to keep us busy. The big trucks and tractors took up the entire street. Now, you KNOW the neighbors loved that. Maybe this is why no one has brought over a casserole to share...

When we got home, we were welcome to this beautiful sight!
A YARD TO PLAY IN!!!!

Now comes the hard part...making sure it doesn't die!

Apparently new sod has the needs similar to that of a newborn baby. I mean, if you look at it wrong, it dies.
Perfect.
So, this was laid on Wednesday and we had plans to leave (the kids and I) on Thursday morning for my cousin's wedding. Mary and I ran to Menards and bought timers for the hoses. We set digital timers and everything. Hopefully this stuff doesn't die.

It does look pretty though! And it is kind of nice to be able to go outside and not have to worry about needing a tetanus shot each time for all of the rusty nails in the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment