Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Skinned Knee... The First of Many

You know, I think back to the first real skinned knee that I can remember having. I was 5 or 6 years old and I was riding my bicycle. My family has lived on a cul-de-sac our entire lives so we were always able to just ride and ride and ride. I had gotten a "big girl" bike for Christmas when I was 5 and that's what I was riding. I remember driving down toward my best friend's house. I fell over on my bike, fell off, and skinned my knee. So sad. I screamed. Stacey's dad heard me crying hysterically so he ran down to me and picked me up and carried me home. So crazy that I remember it in such detail.

Charlotte had her first official skinned knee on March 28, 2012. I know that she will not remember this skinned knee, but I will. It really broke my heart. We were down at Waterfront Park in Mt Pleasant checking out the "wah wah" and the "ish" and she got pretty excited. She started running and lost her balance. 

BOOM!!!
There was even a sprinkling of blood....



...and a few beautiful tears.

She got over it very quickly and moved on with life. She got down and started all over again... a bit more careful for the first few minutes she was down and moving. I fast forward in my head to her first broken heart and the thought of it makes me want to cry. I remember my first broken heart and I have no desire for my child to have to go through that. Oh the joy... 

Charlotte, this was your first official skinned knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment