Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday the 13th... What a day!

I had no idea it was Friday the 13th when I made my doctor's appt. I was reminded when I got there, however. We go up Friday morning. Aunt Kathy got up to take care of Charlotte while I went to the doctor. Her phone pretty much blew up the day she got here so she had no phone to use. We didn't have our internet phone/"land line" yet so she had no way to get ahold of me (which made me nervous in case they needed something.) But I went to the doctor at 9:30 am. I had my NST done to monitor the baby's heart rate for 20-30 minutes. The baby was pretty chill but active enough to pass the test. I then had to have blood drawn which is just a nightmare for me. I warn the lab techs that a butterfly needle is probably the best choice for me, they don't use one, and I walk away with huge hematoma from the blood draw. I don't like to say that I'm a nurse and know what I am talking about but sometimes I wish I would. 

I then had to see the doctor. My doctor was out of town on vacation so I saw a different one. He was the only OB doctor in the building for the day so he had a heavy workload. When they called me in to get my blood pressure and weight, my blood pressure was high...not crazy high for me, just higher than its been...by quite a bit. I get into the room and they inform the doctor has to swab me for my GBS status...which means it's naked time from the waist down. Perfect. He comes strolling in, swabs me, then brings all sorts of news. He states that there is glucose in my urine so he wants me to repeat my 3 hour glucose test bc he feels as though I am probably gestational diabetic. He then informs me that he does not like my blood pressure and I have gained 9 lbs in one week so he wants to send me to the hospital to be monitored for a few hours. He said he didn't feel comfortable sending me home for the entire weekend with a high blood pressure. What a blow!!! I mean, seriously... a blood test, a vaginal swab, glucose in my urine, AND go to the hospital to be monitored???? Yeah, I totally was fighting back the tears when I walked out to my car.

So I went over to the hospital. I had never been. In fact, I am supposed to preregister for my delivery in a week and half and have an OB tour the next day. So I find my way through the hospital, get all checked in, and they put me in a little curtained area. I sat up on a stretcher for 3 hours while they monitored the baby's heart rate and my blood pressure. They took some lab work and watched me. In the end my blood pressure came down beautifully, my labs came back normal, the baby looked beautiful and I had a few real contractions. So they sent me on my way! I grabbed some fast food (that was so delicious) and headed home. Aunt Kathy and I figured out a way to communicate through the internet so I was able to tell her what was going on and she was able to write me back.

I got home in time to enjoy pool time with two of my favorite people. Charlotte was perfect for Aunt Kathy and didn't really even miss me too much. They went out to the pool as soon as I got home.

Charlotte LOVES to pour water on you while in the pool.

She's so funny!

LOVE LOVE HER FACE HERE! So proud of herself.

Charlotte is learning to make a fishy face and here Aunt Kathy is working on it with her.

After swimming, we came inside and had a snack. Charlotte is loving the movie Toy Story 3. Here she is enjoying it on her little couch that Papa insisted on buying her for her birthday.  (She sits on it all day long.)

After Toy Story and snacks, Charlotte got to Skype with Uncle Darrin and his kitties Tom and Jerry.

Charlotte loves her computer time :) Although, depending on who she's talking to, sometimes she will just sit there and stare. It's funny.

We had mostacolli for dinner. I created a new little recipe for my sauce for my mostacolli. Charlotte loved it!

I believe she is saying, "Hats off to the chef" in this picture.


After dinner, Aunt Kathy and I spent about 30 minutes in the baby's room getting some stuff put away, organized, etc.

After those 30 minutes on Friday, 6 loads of laundry, and about 20 minutes on Saturday, THIS is what the nursery looked like! Quite the difference, right????

Friday was an eventful but productive day. I'm just happy everything turned out ok and I was able to come home...and not have to stay in the hospital over the weekend bc of blood pressure issues. I am just so very thankful that Aunt Kathy was here to take care of Charlotte. Not having to worry about them or what they were doing made it easier for me to focus on me and the baby. I'm so thankful to have such an amazing family... I really am blessed. Charlotte had a blast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment