Friday, October 22, 2010

It's Bridge Time

Everyone in Charleston is very familiar with the Ravenell Bridge. It was just finished being built in 2005 when I moved here. It's the longest bridge on the East coast... It crosses the mouths of two rivers as they merge together and flow into the Charleston Harbor. There is a walking path on one side of the bridge for pedestrians and cyclists. It connects downtown Charleston with Mouth Pleasant. I think it's funny bc it kind of connects the ghetto of Charleston with the "rich,snooty" suburb of Mt Pleasant.

The bridge rocks. Walking the bridge is so relaxing and calming. I used to walk it frequently when I lived in Mt Pleasant bc it was only a couple of miles away and a 10 minute drive. Now that I live on Daniel Island and in the boonies, it's a 15 mile-ish drive and a 20 minute drive. Since everything is pretty much separated by water here, there aren't that many short cuts to get places. It's pretty but annoying at times.

So this picture above shows about 3/4 of the bridge on the walking path side. It's a steep hike on one side and slow incline on the other. It's awesome. However, once you are up there, there are no shortcuts to getting down. So if you have a bathroom emergency, game over :) Being pregnant and walking this with the baby bouncing up and down on the bladder is funny. I feel like I have to pee for over half of the walk... in all reality there is barely in pee in their, the baby is just going nuts on the bladder.
Here is Bambino on the first landing of the bridge walk. I took these on a Monday at like 1 pm so there weren't that many people up there... only tourists and college kids. I only took these when I was by myself and felt like no one was watching me :) I didn't want to look like a loser. But I want Bambino to know the places he/she went while in the womb. You know, when I'd walk the bridge in my normal body, people honk their car horns at you... either at your front, or you back. Now that I am pregnant, no one honks. I take that back, I've had a few honks from the back when they couldn't tell I was preggo. But not from the front. It's hilarious. Everyone says pregnant women are so beautiful but not beautiful or sexy enough for a honk on the bridge. Totally cracks me up.
I love listening to my Ipod and walking the bridge. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a music video and I sing along with the music.... really loudly. I forget that I am not invisible. It's always embarrassing when I don't know people are behind me getting ready to pass me when I am singing in my own little world. At times like that I was say to myself, "It's so windy up here, they couldn't hear me anyway." :) Yeah, right. If I REALLY enjoy the song, I will even break into a dance move or two. It looks good :)
I can't wait to actually take the baby in his/her stroller and walk the bridge. I just love it so much. It's great exercise and a great way to clear your mind.

Come visit and walk the bridge with me! You'll wish you had one too! (Unless you are from Charleston and reading this. In that case, call me and walk with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment